Robs Blog

Blog containing all sorts of info and help from my day to day life

Categories

DHCP Failing – Error 5: Access is denied starting Diagnostics Policy Service

If the DHCP stops working on your machine, this might be due to the Diagnostics Policy Service not running. If you try and start it manually you get the following error “Error 5: Access is denied ”
To fix this is simple if you know how. Run the following command from an elevated command prompt

net localgroup administrators localservice /add
net localgroup administrators networkservice /add

Then reboot and you should have DHCP back and running

October 2nd, 2014 by robconvery

In-place upgrade from Windows 2008 R2 Standard to Enterprise

Use the dsim tool for completing this update. Start a command console and run the following command

  • ┬áDism /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

where XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX is your product. Key. If you get an error about the key not being valid you can use a microsoft provided one – 489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y followed by activating using your key i.e.

  • Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y
  • slmgr.vbs -ckms
  • slmgr.vbs -upk
  • slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
  • slmgr.vbs -ato

And you should have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise activated using your key

 

August 15th, 2011 by robconvery

First problem with XP SP3

After hearing all the disaster reports about installing SP3 I decided to take the dive and installed it on my works ‘Intel’ laptop. It all seemed to go on fine. Could not really say if its much quicker. Maybe boots up a bit quicker but didn’t do any timed tests. As it all worked fine I then installed it on my works desktop (again Intel) no problems again…

…then only a new little server I was building for a friend. Fresh install…got to SP3 – installed fine. It found some updates…but they would not install. No updates would install via Windows Update.

After a bit of googling it appears that the SP3 install did something to one of the Windows Installer DLL. To fix it I needed to run the following

  • regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll

After than all updates installed fine. Annoying but not too hard to fix (well only because someone else got there first.

Thanks to lstep for his solution from the MS forums.

May 22nd, 2008 by robconvery